Spring Cleaning Done Right: Keep Baby Safe
With the school year coming to an end, spring flowers in full bloom, and the summer heat making itself known, now’s your chance to dive into some spring cleaning! Whether you like spring cleaning or not, it is a great way to freshen things up and refocus your mind and life. But, with a newborn baby in the house, safe, baby-proof spring cleaning is a little trickier. Here, we share some safe cleaning alternatives, as well as additional household items to help keep your baby safe! Let’s get this spring started right.
Baby Safe Cleaning Products
It’s important to buy baby-safe laundry detergent to prevent skin irritations and allergic reactions for both you and your baby. Depending on their skin sensitivity, some commercial brands may trigger a reaction. When looking for a child-safe laundry detergent, consider the following factors:
- High Efficiency – Most washing machines today require high efficiency detergent. HE detergent doesn’t create as many suds, meaning that it helps protect your machine from damages.
- Fragrance-Free – Fragrances are often the most irritating component in laundry detergent. Fragrance-free choices are safer and get your clothes just as clean.
- Plant Based – These products are made out of plants and can help reduce irritations compared to synthetic options.
- Liquid and Powder – Choose laundry detergent liquids or powders to limit the risk that your child eats a laundry pod. Always keep your cleaning supplies well out of baby’s reach and locked up.
Now that you know exactly what to look for in a laundry detergent, it time to figure what products are best for you and your family. Below is a list of the top products to use to keep your babies safe.
- Puracy Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent – Not only was this product created by doctors with sensitive skin in mind, but it is plant-based, biodegradable, naturally-derived, and compatible with a high-efficiency washing machine.
- Molly’s Suds Laundry Powder – Created by parents, this cleaning product is made up of only five earth-derived ingredients and was designed with sensitive skin in mind. This product is also long-lasting and very affordable. Molly’s Suds is a great choice for keeping your children safe.
- Eco Nuts – Eco Nuts is a unique and safe way to clean your laundry. This cleaning product is actually the shell of a berry containing a natural soap called saponin, which grow on trees found in the Himalayas. Saponin is broken down by the tension of water, which helps to penetrate and clean the fibers of your clothing. Isn’t that nuts?
- Purex – If you’re looking for a name you know, then Purex Baby Laundry Detergent is the soap for you. This dermatologist-tested product was created for sensitive skin and will get your baby’s clothes fresh and keep them safe.
Finding a safe dish soap is crucial because this cleaning solution comes in contact with your baby’s mouth on a regular basis. From cleaning their bottles to washing their toys, you’ll want to find a dish soap that is safe for babies and parents, alike. When shopping for a natural dish soap, consider the following factors:
- Fragrance-Free – Similar to laundry detergent, artificial fragrances found in dish soaps can contain many harmful chemicals, and not all ingredients have to be listed on the label. Fragrance within your soap is one of the major causes of allergic reactions, so consider fragrance-free cleaning products.
- Organic – Remember to keep in mind that natural and organic do not mean the same thing. When a product states that it’s organic, it means that the plant used within the cleaner wasn’t exposed to chemicals and pesticides.
- Read the Label – When you’re really not sure where to start, learn how to read the label and the ingredients list. Since most ingredients are listed by the chemical name, it helps to study up on what exactly should and should not be included in your baby-safe soap.
With so many different products available at the store and online, it becomes overwhelming to track down the perfect products. Below are a few that have been highly recommended with your baby’s safety in mind.
- Dapple Fragrance-Free Baby Bottle & Dish Liquid – This is a well-known brand that has been developed with a process called ‘green-technology’ to help wash away the film left by breast milk. Not only does it clean well, but it’s also free of phthalates, parabens, SLS, dyes, and preservatives.
- ECOS Dishmate Hypoallergenic Dish Soap – This cleaning product comes in a variety of different scents, but also includes a ‘free and clear’ option. Created with plant-derived agents, this product is sure to get the job done right!
- Babyganics Foaming Dish and Bottle Soap – After being tested by dermatologists and pediatricians, Babyganics has come back with impeccable reports. Not only is this product non-allergenic, scent-free, and plant-based, but it also works hard to remove odors and residue from your child’s dishes.
Now that we have the dishes and laundry covered, let’s look at safe, baby-friendly all-purpose cleaners. All-purpose cleaners are great to use around the house and with little ones running around who want to get their hands on everything, consider the following safety factors:
- Green Cleaner – These types of cleaners are best when they are endorsed by a third-party group, certifying that they have met health and eco standards. Certified green products don’t contain phthalates and if they contain any fragrances, they have to be stated.
- Non-Toxic – It’s better to be safe when it comes to your cleaning products and most multi-purpose products contain toxic chemicals. Look for eco-friendly alternatives that do not cause allergies, asthma, or skin irritation.
- Use Microfiber Cloths when Cleaning – When using an all-purpose cleaner, it’s much safer to use a microfiber cloth rather than sponges or scrubbing brushes. These cloths have a positive charge that naturally attracts the dirt from your surfaces and they’re easy to wash with your kid friendly laundry detergent!
Baby Proofing Household Products
After getting your home clean the right way, now it’s time to make sure it’s also safe for your little ones. Here is a list of some of the must-have baby-proofing products for your home:
- Furniture Corner Cushions
- Stove Knob Covers
- Cabinet and Door Locks
- Toilet Seat Locks
- Outlet Covers
- Adjustable Doorway Gates
- Bath Spout Covers
- Finger Pinch Guards
- Door Knob Locks
- Blind Cord Shorteners
- Furniture Anchors
- Refrigerator and Dishwasher Latches
Spring cleaning is a great time to clear out the clutter, spruce up the house, and keep everyone happy and healthy. Keep these child friendly cleaning products and baby proofing products in mind as you get your spring cleaning underway, and keep you little ones safe!