Did you make a New Year’s resolution for 2014? If so, was it to lose weight, make more money, or any of the other typical resolutions? All of those are wonderful, but this year, let’s start by caring for yourself first.
Looking back over the past year, figure out all of things you had thought might be beneficial for you but never found the time. Start looking at the things you can do and not just follow others in their resolutions. Here are some suggestions for the fabulous infertiles out there (yes, we may be infertile, but we still are fabulous)! You can select one or all, just be sure not to overwhelm yourself with more stress. Do what works best for you and the key motivator for these will be easy…your goal of having a baby.
1) Create a positive mantra for yourself. Remind yourself of all the beautiful qualities you possess.
2) Consult a nutritionist. Nutrition is key when trying to get pregnant, so set up a meeting to speak with a nutritionist. They will help you find subtle ways to change your diet so that you are still happy with eating, but also give you a better chance of getting the vitamins and nutrients that you need to help your fertility.
3) Quit Smoking if you are a smoker. Numerous studies have shown that smoking can lead to miscarriage, premature birth and low-birth weight babies.
4) Reduce Alcohol Consumption. A Harvard study showed that among couples undergoing IVF, women who consume more than 6 alcoholic drinks per week had an 18% less chance of conceiving, while men who had a similar alcohol consumption had 14% less chance of conceiving. So as you can see, excessive alcohol consumption in men may also impact their fertility. Men who consume large quantities of alcoholic drinks (5 or more drinks) may have lowered testosterone levels and reduced sperm quality and quantity. There is no magic number of drinks for men or women that is deemed ok, so it’s best while trying to conceive to only have one or even none as the US Surgeon General recommends.
5) Resolve to Start One New Stress Reducing Hobby. Whether it’s yoga, reading or combining #2 with this one and enjoy taking a cooking class. Choose one, so that your body can start reaping the benefits of happiness and relaxation.
Good luck on your new year’s resolution(s) and may 2014 be the best year ever!