Destination: Fertilization – Your Las Vegas Fertility Trip Itinerary [Infographic]
You’ve likely heard of a honeymoon and a babymoon, when couples go on vacation right before their baby is due, but have you ever heard of a conceptionmoon? A conceptionmoon, also known as fertility tourism, is when you and your partner travel somewhere new in the hopes of conceiving a baby or undergoing fertility treatment.
For couples that are undergoing fertility treatment, taking a conceptionmoon might be just what the doctor ordered, and there’s no better place than Las Vegas! Not only is this amazing city home to some of the best entertainment, food, and activities in the country, but we are also home to some of the most successful and qualified fertility experts. What happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas, especially when it’s a baby!
There are many reasons why couples come to Las Vegas to undergo fertility treatments. The team at Red Rock Fertility Center is here to show you the way to your fertility dreams with some tips on what to expect during treatment and a full Las Vegas itinerary of things to do to make the most out of your trip.
Why Seek Fertility Treatment in Las Vegas?
Before we dive into your fertility tourism itinerary, let’s look at some of the most compelling reasons why you and your partner would want to come to Las Vegas for fertility treatment.
- If you are traveling internationally, only 9 countries allow sex selection, with the United States being one of them.
- Surrogacy and anonymous sperm donation is illegal in many countries, including Ireland. Some countries, like Brazil, only allow surrogates that are related to the couple.
- Las Vegas’ temperate climate and year-round sunshine helps couples reduce their stress, which is often a major factor in struggling to conceive.
- We have some of the country’s best doctors, including Dr. Eva Littman.
About Dr. Littman and Red Rock Fertility Center
As the Founder and Practice Director of Red Rock Fertility Center, Dr. Eva Littman has guided the center to produce many successful pregnancies. Dr. Littman also specializes in challenging cases where the patient has less than a five percent chance of pregnancy and helps them welcome new lives into their families.
“We specialize in difficult fertility cases that other clinics would not accept. We believe that there needs to be thorough investigation into cases where people have failed previous therapy. A review of medication protocols, and further testing may allow a previous failure to turn into an absolute success! Even with a difficult patient population, we still have outstanding pregnancy rates.” – Dr. Eva Littman
Dr.Littman has also contributed to worldwide knowledge of specific infertility problems by publishing numerous papers in peer-reviewed journals and regularly presenting at international meetings and local conferences. She also helps mentor future OB/GYN residents by serving as a Volunteer Associate Clinical Professor in the Department of OB/GYN at the University of Nevada School of Medicine. The entire team at RRFC is committed to helping you grow your family in whatever way you choose.
Your Fertility Tourism Process
If you’ve made the decision to come to Vegas to try to get pregnant, congratulations! You’re taking a big step in the process of growing your family and hopefully you’ll have fun doing it. We want to walk you through everything to expect before you make the trip, while you’re here, and after you go home. We’ll also share some of our favorite Las Vegas activities to help you relax and fully enjoy the city while you’re here.
Before Your Las Vegas Trip
There are a few things to note before you head out on your conceptionmoon. We have worked with many patients in the past that are interested in fertility tourism and whether you’re coming from across the country or across the world, it’s easy to start your fertility treatment process remotely.
First, you’ll schedule a Skype consultation with Dr. Littman and the team. Following the initial conversation, patients will work closely with Dr. Littman and an assigned patient coordinator who will guide you through the process. Often times we can coordinate some of your care with your local doctor and the typical stay in Las Vegas is 7 to 10 days, but it could be more depending on your case.
During this consultation, we will discuss:
- Demographic information
- Your client portal
- Medical history
- Recommended diagnostic testing
Out of state patients may have their testing done in their local area, which will minimize travel to and from during this diagnostic phase. Once recommended tests are completed, records can be faxed over to our office and then another phone consult will be conducted to discuss treatment options based on the results.
During Your Las Vegas Trip
If we all decide that Red Rock Fertility Center is a good match for your family goals, come on down to Las Vegas! We will base this itinerary on the general timeline of IVF, one of the most common fertility treatment options. We are one of the few IVF centers in Nevada to have two embryologists with Executive Laboratory Director (ELD) Qualifications. Our third embryologist has an advanced certification as a Laboratory Technical Supervisor and our Andrologist is certified as an Andrology Laboratory Scientist.
On day one, you’ll land at McCarran International Airport and can get settled into your hotel room. We’ve partnered with local hotels to provide our clients with the utmost care and comfort. Here is a list of our recommended hotels in the city.
Red Rock Fertility Center has partnerships with the following Station Casinos properties, just a short distance from our location and other Las Vegas attractions throughout the city. Contact Red Rock Fertility for rare code.
Additional partnerships with Red Rock Fertility Center includes the following:
- Element by Westin – 4.5 miles from RRFC
- Hilton Grand Vacations on the Boulevard – 14.2 miles from RRFC
- Elara, by Hilton Grand Vacations – 13.3 miles from RRFC
- Hilton Grand Vacations Paradise (Convention Center) – 15.2 miles from RRFC
- Hilton Grand Vacations at the Flamingo – 12.5 miles from RRFC
After traveling to Las Vegas, you’re likely going to want to grab a bite to eat. Eating healthy will help increase your chances of getting pregnant and Vegas is home to some delicious, nutritious restaurants right by the clinic. For dinner, check out:
- Greens & Proteins: Located just 3 miles from the Red Rock Fertility Center clinic, Greens & Proteins is the perfect dining location for a healthy and fulfilling meal. This modern and family-friendly cafe has everything from wraps to pizzas to vegan and vegetarian options to satisfy your cravings after arriving in Las Vegas.
- Daily Kitchen: Only 4.5 miles from Red Rock Fertility, located on Town Center Drive, you will find Daily Kitchen Eatery and Rotisserie. Not only does this dining location provide good food, but all the dishes are fresh, healthy, and good for you! Market-fresh meats and produce are tossed into every dish to assure that each and every meal is delicious and nutritious.
- Andiron Steak & Sea: If you’re looking for a more upscale dining experience while staying in Las Vegas, head over to Downtown Summerlin and enjoy a meal at Andiron Steak & Sea. Created by Las Vegas locals and restaurateurs Kim Canteenwalla and Elizabeth Blau, this elegant steakhouse is the perfect way to end your first day in Fabulous Las Vegas. And, after you’re done with your meal, there are plenty of shops and dessert locations throughout the Downtown Summerlin shopping center.
- Juan’s Flaming Fajitas & Cantina: Spice up your night with a dinner option that will not disappoint! Juan’s Flaming Fajitas & Cantina is the perfect place to unwind after a long day of traveling. With mouthwatering flavors that are inspired by traditional Mexican dishes and plenty of authentic desserts to satisfy your sweet tooth, Juan’s has it all when it comes to food, fun, and atmosphere.
Get excited, because it’s time for your first appointment with Dr. Littman! You’ve made it all this way and during this first meeting, we will confirm treatment and get you started on your IVF process. Your first day of the IVF cycle will be on the first day of your period and our fertility experts can help determine this exact start date for your body.
Once we have a start date, we will begin the stimulation phase, which is when we stimulate your ovaries to produce many eggs (rather than just the one that is common with most menstrual cycles). We do this by using hormone medications like follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone. We will walk you through how to undergo these hormone injections, including exactly how and where to give them.
Now that you’ve officially began your fertility treatment, it’s time to celebrate! Treat yourself to a spectacular show to have a little fun. Favorite shows include:
- Michael Jackson One by Cirque Du Soleil: Described as “a virtual parade of ‘wow’ moments,” you are sure to have a magical night as you witness Michael Jackson One by Cirque Du Soleil. Enjoy some of the most loved music by Michael Jackson, enjoy the dancing acts, and get lost in the lights. This Cirque Du Soleil show does not disappoint.
- Penn & Teller Las Vegas: If you’re looking for a few laughs mixed in with some magic, then Penn & Teller is the show for you. Located inside the theater at Rio Las Vegas, Penn & Teller put on a hilarious act that includes everything from hat and rabbit tricks to fire eating showgirls. Unwind for the evening and enjoy a few laughs with your significant other.
- Celine Dion: After more than 15 years of her Las Vegas residency, Celine Dion has announced that her final show will come to an end in June 2019. With still some time left to witness magic on the stage, enjoy a performance by Celine Dion at The Colosseum located at Caesars Palace. Enjoy a great night out on the town with this international superstar singing some of her greatest hits for all her fans.
Another great way to give yourself the best chances of getting pregnant is to take some time to relax. Las Vegas is home to world-class spas, including:
- The Red Rock Spa by Well & Being: It’s time to relax halfway through your trip to Las Vegas. The Spa at Red Rock Casino and Resort offers a blend of spa fusion and wellness for the ultimate comfort and enjoyment. Kick your feet up, personalize your experience, and transform from the inside out.
- Spa Aquae at JW Marriott: Enjoy an aquatic spa and healing experience at the Spa Aquae at JW Marriott. You can now fully relax and let the features of the spa wash all your troubles away. This spa and wellness center was built on the foundations of ancient therapeutic wisdom and the wonderful healing powers of water. Experience the powers for yourself.
- Canyon Ranch Spa + Fitness at The Venetian: Experience the ultimate escape at The Venetian Canyon Ranch Spa. Here you can pick from more than 150 services in one of the largest day spas in the world. All you have to do is relax as the experts work their magic.
Throughout the next few days, you will continue to meet with the doctors to monitor how your follicles are developing. We might take blood tests and ultrasounds to closely monitor your IVF cycle. At the end of the stimulation phase, it will be time for the “trigger injection,” which gets the eggs ready for ovulation. While you wait for your body to produce eggs, check out these fun and free things to do in Vegas! The city is full of extravagant indulgences, but sometimes the best things on a conceptionmoon are free!
- Red Rock Canyon: Get out and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Las Vegas. Red Rock Canyon offers some of the most amazing views around, hiking for all ages, and a beautiful drive through the canyon. Enjoy your free time during your trip to Vegas by experiencing one of the greatest treasures the area has to offer.
- The Fountains of Bellagio: If you come to Vegas and don’t witness the Fountains of Bellagio, then you are truly missing out! Get lost in the water dancing, music, and lights, any day of the week. Not only is this attraction free for all, but it is one of the most beautiful performances located on the Strip.
- Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas Sign: Document your trip to Sin City at the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas Sign. Located south of the Strip, you will spot one of the most iconic signs in the world. Take as many pictures as you want and never forget your trip to Vegas, baby!
There are plenty of options when it comes to free activities and experiences in Las Vegas. Make sure to enjoy as many as you can during your stay in this desert city.
The stimulation phase of IVF can take anywhere from 8-14 days, depending on your body. Once the eggs, which are contained in the follicles, mature, the patient is then ready for their egg retrieval. This involves a mild, sedative anesthetic. Once the patient is anesthetized, Dr. Littman uses ultrasound guidance to retrieve the mature eggs with an aspiration needle. The eggs are removed through the needle and given to the embryologist, who identifies them and places them into a dish.
That same day, our scientists and embryologists will fertilize your eggs. Fertilization can occur naturally, where the sperm are placed in the dish and the fastest, luckiest sperm fertilizes the egg. Or, in cases of sperm with poor motility, fertilization can occur via intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), where the sperm are injected directly into the egg. After fertilization, the embryos are placed in our triple gas incubators, which most closely replicate the environment of the uterus.
The stimulation process takes about 20 to 30 minutes and after recovering, you’ll be able to walk out on your own. From there, treat yourself to room service, a massage, and an in-room movie to reward yourself that you’ve made it this far. You now have a fertilized egg growing into an embryo, so cuddle up with your partner and cheers to a beautiful future. Maybe even think of some baby names while you’re at it!
As you wait for your embryo to grow, now’s the time to explore Las Vegas. There are so many things to do outside of the Strip including hiking, swimming, and exploring. Branch out and experience these top Vegas adventures:
- Lake Mead: Enjoy the desert oasis of Las Vegas, Lake Mead. This man made lake offers it all, including hiking, fishing, boating, swimming, and much more. Enjoy beauty everywhere you look, wilderness, and even the Hoover Dam as you enjoy this amazing Vegas experience.
- Fremont Street: If you’re looking to go out on the town but aren’t feeling the Strip, head down to the Fremont Street Experience. Here, you can enjoy dining, casinos, entertainment, lounges, and much more. Enjoy everything that defines Las Vegas, but in a more casual atmosphere in Downtown Las Vegas.
- Grand Canyon: The Grand Canyon is a bit of a drive, but definitely worth it to witness the beauty that is the Grand Canyon. Let your eyes take in the combination of colors, wildlife, and enjoy the fresh air. Whether you’re looking to take it all in from the Skywalk or are simply just going for some peace and quiet, the Grand Canyon is the perfect escape. Between your fertility appointments, you’ll have some time to kill so this little getaway is perfect.
Five days after the embryo is created, the embryo will undergo biopsy and freezing in order to get the result of chromosome testing. Then, 3-4 weeks later the best embryo(s) can be transferred into the uterus. This is a painless procedure, requires no anesthesia, and is the last step before finding out whether or not the process was successful. There is an approximately 30-80% chance the transferred embryo(s) will produce a pregnancy. With further steps and testing, our Ultra IVF protocol, which includes PGS testing, significantly increases the chance for a successful pregnancy.
After Your Las Vegas Trip
Two weeks after transfer, you will take a blood test to see if the pregnancy was successful. These blood tests measure hCG, which is a hormone in your blood stream that usually means a positive pregnancy test. If all goes well, you’ll welcome a little bundle of joy into your lives very soon. And to think, it all started in Vegas!
*If IVF is recommended, patients are looking at an approximate stay of 9-14 days if a fresh cycle is the choice of treatment. This may vary depending on if the patient is out of state or out of country.
For out of country, length of stay may be longer as medications will have to be done while in Las Vegas, as opposed to out of state patients who may have an option to start their medications in their local area.
Treatment for an IVF cycle will include medications, monitoring ultrasounds and blood work, retrieval and transfer. Keep in mind that days may vary depending on what type of IVF cycle is done, whether it be a fresh or frozen cycle. With frozen cycles, the length of stay is less (approximately 2 weeks) and the patient will have to return back to do a frozen embryo transfer.